Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A NEW PLAN TO MOVE FORWARD

Yesterday I felt a bit lost and unsure about my new training program so I’ve been giving it some thought and am making some changes. One thing I know about myself is that I’m very easily influenced by others. This can be a good thing in that I’m open to others’ comments and opinions but it can also mean that sometimes I question myself and don’t stick by what I believe in.

So I’ve put all the pieces together and come up with a revised plan that I’m happier with. I’ll be trialling it til Xmas and if its working well and moving me towards my goals then GREAT. Otherwise its bye, bye and time for a new strategy.

I’m finding this post-comp time really interesting. Its full of ups and downs, more challenges (albeit different ones), uncertainty and requires a change in direction and thinking. On the other hand (looking at the glass half full) its great to have no pressure to train at high volumes and follow a strict and limited diet. Its also the perfect opportunity to consolidate the hard work of the last few months and reap the benefits of having a leaner and more toned body for summer. And lets not overlook the opportunity to keep learning about ourselves and new ways of training and eating.

So on that note I’m embracing this time by enjoying a wide variety of (mainly) clean and healthy foods and taking a fresh approach to my training. I’m also treating my mind as a muscle (technically I don’t think it is) and exercising it daily to keep it working for me and not against me. I’m determined to get things right.

Before I sign off I want to share a little story with you. A couple of days after the Sydney comp someone quite close to me said “oh my goodness, look at you, you’re all skin and bones”. I almost replied with “you need to put your glasses on as you obviously cant see my broad and muscley shoulders and the still very obvious muscles on my arms”, but I just smiled politely. Thinking about this comment my opinion is this. If you are 10-20 kilos overweight then yes I’m going to look like “skin and bones” to you. But I ask this: “Are you happy with how you look?” I suspect not. “Am I happy with how I look?” ABSOLUTELY!!! Subject closed.

Magda

6 comments:

stacytoby said...

loved the last part of your blog today, so true! I need to remember that the next time the obese teacher at school scoffs at my drinking of my recess protein shake!

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Magda, glad you've come up with something you're happy with. Sounds like everything's coming together. Cheers, Charlotte

Pip said...

I agree, - subject closed. I've had comments similar. I remember I'm your height but have been nowhere near as lean or light as you since 21 and then I was really fit, felt awesome.

BUT I have people seeing me now, (on my blog a post down there are some pics of me yesterday in long brown dress) and telling me I look great, - when I feel overweight, more effort to do stuff and loads less fit and 87-88kg odd.

Then in July, (and under July archive) there are pics - firstly in red dress then in blue bikini when I was loads fitter and between 71-72kg, - still not quite at my target but well on way! But I fatter people telling me I was starting to look too skinny, - huh far from it!

A little envy from others I agree!
I'm happy my family always tells the truth though and are supportive of any fitness fatloss efforts from me.

Pip

Pip said...

I agree, - subject closed. I've had comments similar. I remember I'm your height but have been nowhere near as lean or light as you since 21 and then I was really fit, felt awesome.

BUT I have people seeing me now, (on my blog a post down there are some pics of me yesterday in long brown dress) and telling me I look great, - when I feel overweight, more effort to do stuff and loads less fit and 87-88kg odd.

Then in July, (and under July archive) there are pics - firstly in red dress then in blue bikini when I was loads fitter and between 71-72kg, - still not quite at my target but well on way! But I fatter people telling me I was starting to look too skinny, - huh far from it!

A little envy from others I agree!
I'm happy my family always tells the truth though and are supportive of any fitness fatloss efforts from me.

Pip

Miss Positive said...

You are so right Magda! People make these sorts of comments quite often, I'm sure you had people telling you that you were 'wasting away' and 'too skinny', telling you 'not to go stupid with it' etc. I'm sure its because it makes them feel better - maybe justifies them being out of shape/uncomfortable in their own bodies.

Good luck with your plan up to Christmas!

Hilary xx

Sam D-M said...

Hi Magda,

Look forward to hearing how your plans pan out!

When your a figure competitor people don't realise that calling us 'skin and bones' or 'skinny' are NOT what we want to hear. We want to hear 'muscle skin and bones'!

Sam