Thursday, August 14, 2008


My phone rang at 1.30 today and it was my dad sounding very incoherent. Mum was having serious chest pains and he'd called an ambulance. After settling my own panic I instructed him to call me back when the ambulance had arrived and they knew what would be happening as he said that the pain was easing. I also instructed him to go with mum in the ambulance and NOT to drive himself as I could tell how upset he was.

Anyway she was taken to the RAH and WH and I left work immediately to meet them there. On the walk down (its about 6-8 blocks) all sorts of thoughts went through my mind including the worst thought possible which left me feeling .... well words just cant describe it. I forced myself to put that out of my mind because everything would be OK.

So after 3 1/2 hours in the emergency department where mum was questioned and tested over and over again they found NOTHING wrong and sent her home. I fail to understand how severe chest pains and an inability to breath can mean there is nothing wrong... ?????

As we finished our dinner (and a bottle of wine) after the event was over I shared my fears and concerns with my WH because it was a good time to talk about things. We had a scare but in the end mum is ok. I know how this incident left me feeling so I can appreciate how much harder things are for Rae and Lia. My heart goes out to you both.

Its nearing the end of the day and I feel like I've been through the wringer. Its time to call it a day and hope for peace and calm tomorrow.



Kristy said...

Such a fright Magda, but I am so glad that your mum is ok...

Lia Halsall said...

There aren't words to describe it and there still aren't.

I'm so very glad that it wasn't anything serious and that she's okay now, that's such a blessing. xxx

Kek said...

Magda, I'm sorry you had a bad scare - and glad your Mum's OK. I'm sure if there was any doubt, the hospital wouldn't have released her....

Hope you have an uneventful weekend.

Combat Girl said...

Glad your mum is ok Magda.

Sometimes it takes incidents like these to wake us up and to make us appreciate life and people a whole lot more as we tend to get caught up in the little stuff.


Michelle said...

The same thing happened to my Dad earlier in the year; except he was on his own in Coober Peedy for work. He managed to get hospital and was in pain for ages but they couldn't find anything wrong. He did all the follow up stress test and came up fitter than he expected. Scared the hell out of me though.
It's really motivated him to look after himself better though.
Makes you appreciate every momement.

little rene said...

Glad everything is OK Magda :)

Take care xxx

Magda said...

Thank you all for your kind words and supportive comments. All is well so we are very relieved.