Monday, July 28, 2008

BIRTHDAYS AND BREAKTHROUGHS


Well last night saw the end of about 2 weeks celebrating my birthday. Our family doesnt do things by halves and it felt like we were doing something on most days. But in reality here's what I was treated to:


Lunch out with WH on the day. We went to lovely city cafe with the best home-style Italian food.


Dinner out with my work colleague that evening as we had travelled to the country for various meetings.


2 nights later my friends came around for drinks and nibbles. I hardly ever eat fruit cheese (which I love) but I had some that night.


Last Friday my mum and I spent the day together doing some shopping for me and having coffees and lunch.


That night WH took me out to a VERY NICE Italian Restaurant (Auge) which was superb. I had some unusual but very delicious food. It was heaven.


On Saturday my Mum cooked my favourite dinner and made my favourite cake. I ate a bit too much because I found it very hard to resist. Check out the picture above. Its a vanilla slice with home made puff pastry (yes my mum rolled, folded and rested it 3-4 times) and custard made from egg yolks, sugar, milk and flour. When its cooked and very thick you stir through the stiffly beaten egg whites. The custard is then spread in a thick layer between the 2 sheets of (cooked) puff pastry and cut into squares for serving after dusting with icing sugar. Its the best vanilla slice in the world :-)


Sunday night we wound it all up and my body did truly say "ENOUGH".


July has been a tough month as far as eating goes because it seemed to be a string of holidays, eating out, celebrating and trying to stay sane around so much food. But I'm really pleased to say that I managed a huge achievement this month, a really significant breakthrough which I'll blog more about tomorrow.


Cheers all


Magda


6 comments:

Kie said...

Hi Magda,
Yum Yum your Mum spoils you, you lucky thing. Glad you enjoyed your birthday sounded fun (o:
Kie xx

Lisa said...

Ok - that vanilla slice does look fab! You are making me hungry just looking at it!

Raechelle said...

Damn girl! When you celebrate-you really celebrate! Glad you enjoyed it-that's what life should be about!

Anonymous said...

That is AWESOME - I make sure my birthday goes on for at least a MONTH! I love birthdays!!!! That slice looks divine!!! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY MAGDA xx

Cheryl D said...

Yumm! I love Vanilla slice. I have never had it made from scratch. Sounds great.

Magda said...

Hi Kie, yes my mum spoils me BIG TIME and I love her to bits.

Lisa that vanilla slice IS fab. Tasted completely different to commercial pastry and custard made from powder.

I sure do Raechelle. Thats pretty typical in our family and I never want it to change.

I love birthdays too Fern especially coz then ITS ALL ABOUT ME!!! It doesnt even worry me to be getting older ... just bring on the celebrations.

Its a huge job to make from scratch Cheryl so I'll only enjoy it while mum is alive. I have the recipe but have never made it. It just wouldnt be the same as mums.

Cheers all

Magda